CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Errrrrrrr.....

OYM – So you’re Nigerian?

dScribe – Yes Sir

OYM – Which part of Nigeria are you from?

dScribe – I’m Igbo from Anambra State

OYM – Oh, I’ve been there…

OYM’s friend – ah Onisha (with Yoruba accent)

dScribe – That’s actually my town

OYM – It’s a terrible place (turns to friend starts speaking Yoruba, then turns back to me) Igbo people are very greedy, they can do anything for money, even kills for money (gesticulating)

dScribe – really? That hasn’t been my personal experience though. I lived in Onitsha for six years, its quite dirty though but all the Igbos I know are pretty generous and open. My father is not greedy…

OYM – (turns to friend and they’re speaking Yoruba, my phone rings, I pick up, talk briefly and hang up then I turn back to them)

dScribe – Yes? You were saying?

OYM – I was just telling my friend here, that you are not a true Igbo

dScribe – (at this point I’m boiling) really?

OYM – Yezz, you can’t be a true Igbo

dScribe - And why is that? I lived there 6 years, speak my language well, eat my food, go home every Christmas. How am I not truly Igbo?

OYM – Because a true Igbo will take offense to my statement

dScribe – No sir, I’m very open-minded. Everyone has views about everyone, as Christians we shouldn’t take it to heart. Do you know what they say about Yoruba’s, Sir?

OYM – What do they say, is it not mgba ti gba ti?

dScribe – No sir, they say you are all shady, cowards, diabolical, pretentious, smile in the face – kill in the back, the cause of the fatality in the Biafran war.

OYM – (staring at me stupidly in stupor)

dScribe – Yes sir, but you see the Igbos are very bitter about the current state of affairs in the Igbo communities at large. I’m currently reading Biafran books by Yoruba leaders to educate myself and educate others in the long run.

OYM – (goes into a historical chatter about the war, then tells me he knows I’ll be a great leader, we exchange cards…)



MY COMMENTS

I am a strong believer that every problem has a root cause. To the offender the cause is never a big deal; to the offended the grievance is indeed grievous and sometimes absolutely unforgivable. For instance, Patricia is angry with Steve because he took her chips without asking. Steve doesn’t think it’s a big deal because he planned on telling her anyway, she’s angrier about his indifference and lack of remorse, he maintains its bygones, besides its not that serious.

Patricia is very sensitive and almost petty, she stops talking to Steven anymore, she feels she’s being taken for granted and disrespected.

I wish the tribal issue in Nigeria was that simple, or better still – nonexistent…



QUICK QUESTION: More members of his family love his ex, if Efe wasn't in the picture, there's a probability that his ex and him will get back together... What should Efe do?

BE BLESSED Y'ALL!

5 peculiar people said...:

Stuck in my throat said...

Man!!the ISHO wey u give tha man plenty o, but as an Ibo girl who has read so much about the war and who lives in Lagos and is open minded, I am not so tribalistic.
I hate comments that disrespect me as an ibo person and stand by you on this one.

Admin UD said...

Well, your answer was concise and responsible. Nice one.

Come to think of it, 90% of people i 'help' are non-igbos..hehe

dScR?Be said...

lol, UGO!! Thanks
@Stuck, thanks joo, c me c trouble. HISS

Style Stalker said...

It's crazy how people from the same country can still say so much trash about one another. Sucks . . . . .



And err to Efe. . . . .pray to God.

Jennifer A. said...

Lol @ the conversation...totally loved ur response!!!!!

Efe should just pray abt it, and if God tells her to stay in the relationship, then everything will work together for her good and she has no need to fear otherwise. But she should leave everything to God...